Rules of the Trail:
- LEAVE NO TRACE – If you bring it in, you MUST bring it out. Leave no trash on the trail.
- Motor Vehicles are not allowed on the course, however, you will cross multiple gravel road intersections. All runners are expected to stop and look both ways prior to crossing an intersection.
- Participants must progress along course by foot only. No motorized assistance or hitching rides. Participants found cutting the course, or advancing by any means other than foot, will have their entire team disqualified immediately.
- No alcoholic beverages of any kind allowed on the trail.
- Pets are not allowed to accompany runners on the trail.
- Runners beginning a leg after 6pm MUST wear a headlamp, red blinking LED light, and a reflective vest. Runners will not be allowed to begin their leg without these items.
- Pacers will not be allowed.
- Participants must be at least 12 years of age on the day of the relay and must have parental consent. Teams comprised entirely of minors must have at least one chaperone aged 18 or older.
- Teams must have at least one first aid kit for each vehicle. First aid may not be available at every exchange site.
- Runners must always wear their team bib number on their front while running.
- Buses, RV’s and Motorhomes are not permitted at exchange sites.
- Team vehicles must have their team number displayed in the front dash. You will not be granted access to the exchange site without it!
- Official cut off time of 2:30 am is based on 12:00 minutes per mile (m/m). Teams finishing outside this time limit will not receive official finishers awards.
- Any team that has not departed the final exchange site by the official cut off time will be asked not to continue as no further support will be provided.
- Ear buds prohibited
- Co-Ed teams must be at least 50% female.
We do not expect any emergencies during the event if all safety precautions are taken and participants use their best judgement. However, in the event that an emergency arises, please become familiar with our emergency procedure.
Prior to the event, we will obtain cell phone numbers of two participants from each team (one being the team captain). In the event of an emergency or inclement weather, we will use text message to notify each team. If you have an emergency or injury notify the nearest volunteer or Emergency Medical Staff. If no one is present, call 9-1-1. Emergency Medical Staff will be located at:
- Newman Regional Health – Emporia, KS
- Miami County Medical Center – Paola, KS
- Ransom Memorial Hospital – Ottawa, KS
- Morris County Hospital – Council Grove, KS